A heart to Clark.

4.15.2014

Soon. When is soon? It's always coming, we're just not sure when.
Well, when I said I had an exclusive Q&A with a certain designer and one third of the We Are Kin clan coming soon - I meant today.

First meeting in the fitting room cubicles of Market Street's Urban Outfitters (It wasn't like that) - we've come along way since delivering excellent customer service to the 'general' public. So much so, that this girl is already set for BIG things within the jewellery biz.

But that's enough chitchat from yours truly. Ciara...

Ciara Clark.

Manchester.

HND 3D Design and Applied Arts.


Primarily a Jewellery Designer/Maker & Prop/Set Designer at CIARACLARK. I've recently 'given' myself the title of 'Studio Manager' at We Are Kin.

A girl's best friend! It's what I do and I love it! 

A wearable statement.
I would have to say opening our new studio 'We Are Kin'. The launch night was pretty special; celebrating with all my friends and family. I adore working from there - meeting the many faces that come through the studio and having the space to invite others to collaborate.


There are pros and cons to both I guess. 
A 9-5 can offer you a steady wage and job security but nothing beats doing something you truly enjoy for a living, whether that falls into the time frame or out of it.

To someone setting up their own business? Take time and make the effort to make good networks and contacts with people who you can both teach and learn from. Many designers and makers I know get lost in production and lose the time to really promote their work; it's so important to seek out your potential clients and buyers and to let them know who you are and what you do.

A new collection. I've been distracted from making at the moment as all my energy has gone into getting the new studio space up and running. I'm in the early stages of ideas and development for a brand new collection and I can not wait to get making again! 

Often hanging with friends, sometimes heading out for a night of drinking and dancing and occasionally visiting a new city.


As unsentimental as it sounds - my laptop. It's my most treasured possession and I'd be completely useless without it! My tool box is a close second!

I love brands that have a strong identity and are able to communicate a clear message about their style and point of view, to then form an idea and create something from the bottom up. I especially appreciate designers/artists/collectives such as Sophia Webster, Moxham, Craig and Karl and Bjorg Jewellery for this reason; although they have a very different aesthetic, you totally get their vision!

Bjork. She's my ultimate dream client! I would love to make a stage costume for her. I also get really hyped when I see a complete stranger in my jewellery - that's pretty exciting.

Breakfast is a MUST. I can not function without it. Normally something pretty standard but always satisfying; a couple of slices of toast and a good brew. I aim to get to the studio some time between 10/11. I'm not really a morning person! I tend to feel my most productive in the afternoon and evening, I can work all night as long as squeeze a little sleep in. 

All my friends and family to live happily and healthy for all of eternity... and my very own 3D printer. 

I am obsessed with writing lists.

I'm a very good listener and I make a wicked poached egg!

A nice cup of Earl Grey with a splash of milk is my preference.


Ciara's designs are currently for sale at the Manchester Craft and Design Centre.


| Images - Marta Julve |